who we are
History of West Side
"In the beginning..." God inspired His people at First Church of the Nazarene to better serve their community by mothering a new church on the west side of Wichita. In May of 1924, First Church purchased property at 1016 W Maple from the West Side Church of Christ, and the West Side Church of the Nazarene was born. Services began with Rev. A.C. Tunnell, District Superintendent, and 23 charter members on August 10, 1924, A humble, yet beautiful beginning for the life of West Side.
Only one year later West Side began moving forward when the building on Maple sold and land was purchased at St. Clair and Burton. In the spirit of worship and and devotion, a Tabernacle was erected to the one and only Living God. Through the graciousness of God, and the sacrifices of His people, the mortgage for both the land and building was "burned" in August, 1927. Shouts of Victory rose from the small congregation in answer to God's blessing.
The journey of life continued with plans for a new building. The basement was completed and occupied on May 13, 1928. Maturity comes with a price, but this was a praying group and gradually the personality of a strong and stable church emerged.The pains of growth were relieved with the purchase of a brick building at University and Walnut. Doing business once more with the West Side Church of Christ, the sum of $1,500.00 was paid in June 1939, and the first service was held on September 3, 1939.
Early considerations for a new building were overruled by God's plan. Using the opportunity of the Highway 54 expansion, God moved West Side to its present location at 2300 S Seneca. Property was purchased for $103,000.00. The parsonage, fellowship hall, sanctuary and Sunday school wing were dedicated to the Lord on January 13, 1957. The south wing and chapel were dedicated September 20, 1964.
At "sixty years young" West Side's recent worship center was completed between two existing wings. The old sanctuary was converted to a gymnasium/family life center.
Over seventy-five years have passed now, and West Side has grown with the wisdom and maturity that only time can bring. And the growing process continues on. In honor of it's diamond anniversary, West Side gave a gift to the world by sponsoring and completely supporting a Work and Witness trip to Panama. Proving once again the faithfulness and generosity of God's people.
Three quarters of a century of proclaiming the Gospel message to the people of southwest Wichita, and around the world. The people of West Side now enjoy God's blessing with Spirit-filled worship services and testimony times. The talented musicians, choirs, and praise team add to the beauty of the worship services and testimony times. There are opportunities for Bible study, connection with others, and serving in Life Groups. Compassionate services to the local community and the world are offered by Nazarene Missions. REAL Youth Ministries for teens, Caravans for children, and active Singles and Seniors departments. A loving nursery department nurtures the youngest members. And the formation and dedication of "Prayer Partners" places prayer at the foundation of every program at West Side.